Department of History
The Department of History is one of the poineering departments of Government Degree College Pattan. The department has been working from 2005 since the commencement of this college.It is one the prestigious departments which has always worked hard for the betterment of the students and provide them quality education .Currently,History is prescribed as acore subject for all semesters. The subject is taught under the scheme of CBCS as per the guidelines of UGC and University of Kashmir. The department also offers Skill Enhancement course to students like Archaeology- An Introduction.
- The fundamental belief and objective of history is based on a profound belief in the importance of history both as an academic discipline within the curriculum and as an important foundation stone for living a productive and successful life.
- The Department of History prepares students for a wide range of careers by teaching a core set of transferable skills through the study of societies, cultures and economies across a broad chronological and geographical spectrum.
The mission of the Department of History is based on the belief that an understanding of history is essential for complete education, a life of wider- awareness and responsible citizenship. We seek to instill in students a passion for learning about the past and to enable them gain a better understanding of the contemporary world and make connections to the future. The department aims to be an open and welcoming site for a robust exchange of ideas and the encouragement of scholarly excellence. We are committed to develop in the student vital skills such as critical thinking, analysis, verbal expression and effective writing.
I wish to welcome the students in the Department of History, GovernmentDegree College Pattan. As the department enters a new era, the time ahead looks challenging as well as promising for new exciting changes to the department. I have no doubt that task ahead for the Department of History is something that we must address jointly. This new era should be based upon principled decisions and shunning of arbitrariness in decision making in the department. In the conflict between what is proper and what would bring the right result in oneself, one must always be disciplined and do what is proper. In order to succeed in our mission, we are supposed to provide a helping hand to our students by not only teaching, but also providing them the opportunities to eradicate hurdles. We seek to instill in students a passion forlearning about the past and to enable them gain a better understanding of the contemporary world ; and make connections to the future. The department aims to be an open and welcoming site for a robust exchange of ideas and the encouragement of scholarly excellence. We are committed to develop vital skills in students such as critical thinking, analysis, verbal expression and effective writing.
- Programme outcome:
The programme outcome offered by the Department of History:
- Students should understand academic honesty.
- Develop the basic skills that historians use in research and writing.
- Students should understand the basic tools of historical analysis and the value of diversity as well.
- Programme specific outcome:
In the programme specific outcome studentsshould :
- Learn the basic narrative of historical events in a specific region of the world.
- Be able to gather and asses primary historical evidence.
- Be able to distinguish between the primary and secondary sources.
- Course outcomes for the specific programmeoffered by the department:
In addition to the regular courses for all the semesters, the undergraduate department of History offers a specific programmeof Archaeology: An Introduction.
- Course outcomes of Archaeology: An introduction:
- To help the students understand the true meaning and importance of Archaeology as a branch of History.
- To make students aware about the relationship of Archaeologywith other disciplines.
- To inform the students about different tools and methods to explore the past.
- And “Attainment of Programme outcome, programme specific outcome, and course outcome are evaluated by the department/ institution”.
The faculty of the department of History works very hard for the attainment of these programmeoutcomes,programme specific outcomes and course objectives.The faculty uses the methods of assignments, class presentation, debates, group discussions in order to check the level of comprehension of students. In addition to this internal evaluation is also carried out by the department on regular basis so as to achieve our set goals.Furthermore the department also organised some historical tours in order to make the students aware about the heritage and historical sites of our valley.
|S.No.||Nature of Posts||Number|
PROFILE OF THE FACULTY MEMBERS:
|S.No||Name / Mobile/Email ID||Designation||Qualification||Teaching Experience||Photograph||CV attached|
|Assistant Professor||M Phil, NET, M.Ed.||10 years|
|Lecturer||M.A, NET, B.Ed.||5+ years|
DETAIL OF COURSE OFFERING:
|S.No.||Title of the Course||Semester||Core Course/ Skill Enhancement Course||Link to the Syllabus|
|1||Ancient India||1St||Core Course||View Syllabus|
|2||Medieval India||2nd||Core Course||View Syllabus|
|3||Modern India||3rd||Core Course||View Syllabus|
|4||Themes in Indian Economic and Social History||4th||Core Course||View Syllabus|
|5||Archeology: An introduction||3rd||Skill Enhancement||View Syllabus|
The main objective of the programme is to develop among the students the awareness of the past so that they will be able to understand the present which will provide them a guideline for the future.
|GENDER||Semester I||Semester II||Semester III||Semester IV||Semester V and VI||TOTAL|
|Total||–||58 +39 (SEC)=97||92||34||125||348|
|S.No||Year of Pass-Out||Semester||Number of Students|
|6.||2018||5th and 6th||94|
|S.No||Name of the Student||Current Status of the Student|
|1.||Suhail Nazir Sofi||Pursuing Masters in History|
|2.||Fahim Ahmad Dar||Pursuing Masters in History|
Prof. Masrat John
Head of the Department, History